Monday, November 22, 2010

Starting with something sweet .. Rava-coconut ladoo


Back in my school days my mom used to make Rava-coconut ladoo very often at home. I used to love the taste of freshly made ladoos. On an unusually snowy day in Seattle when there wasn't much else to do I thought why not re-create this sweet treat.

So here is my rava - naral ladoo recipe :


Ingredients

1 cup rava (Usually fine rava is recommended but coarse is alright too. I used coarse since that is what I had at home.)
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
10-12 raisins
2 tablespoons charoli (roasted sunflower seed is the name I found for this). This is an optional element, if you dont have it no worries.
3 tablespoons ghee
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder

Procedure

1. Heat ghee in a sauce pan

2. Add rava, raisins and charoli to the ghee

3. Roast them till the rava is aromatic. Dont let the rava change its color much. We want as light a color as possible.

4. Once that is done, take the rava off the heat and transfer it to some plate to cool down.

5. In another pan bring the water to a boil and add sugar and cardamom powder to it.

6. Let the water and sugar mixture boil for about 3 minutes.

7. Add the rava mixture placed aside in step (4) to the sugar syrup in step (6)

8. Mix it well and keep stirring for about a minute.

9. Turn off the heat

10. Now wait for the mixture to cool down. About 20 minutes.

11. Apply some ghee to your hands and then roll your rava-coconut ladoos


Now you can enjoy your ladoo ! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment